Friday, January 3, 2014

How to read a nutrition label

How many times have have you been angry over someone in the grocery store standing in your way reading every box label? 

Well I am going to teach you how to be read a nutrition facts label and eat consciously 
So When I first look at a label I look at the Sugar if there is more than 2-3 grams I put it back the only item I will consider more sugar is cereal keep it organic high in fiber and low on sugar.

1.  I look at the serving size. Did you know that most cookies or bag of chips are 2 serving sizes? Did you know that a pop tart (AKA worst food on the planet)  pastry nutrition label is for 1 pastry and as we all know everyone eats both pastries. 

2. Check the calories stay within 2000-2500 calories a day.

3. The purple area of the graft is the % this is important You want the area in yellow to be under 5% and the Blue to be over 5%

4. You want to limit the fats, Cholesterol and Sodium. 

5. Remember sodium should be under 5% of your daily value. Too much salt and though you scale off which in return can discourage you journey to a healthier lifestyle. 

6. Total Carbohydrates... for me this use to be a only thing I would look at. I have had a hard time learning to love and trust carbs. I promise if all the other nutrition fact are going in the right direction then the carbohydrates will be ok. You can always subtract 1 carb per 1 fiber. HINT HINT WINK WINK this is why we want fiber. Oh and keep ourself regular in the bathroom ;)

7. Dietary fiber is great for cancer prevention such as colon cancer and it is lowers your risk for heart disease. Women need 25 grams per day and men should get 38 grams per day

8. Protein! You can get protein form Avocado, Beans, Lean Meat, Fish, Kale, Nuts, Quinoa, Oatmeal and many other great sources. 

9. You want to get enough of your Vitamins each day, Iron and Calcium are important even though new studies show that we do not need as much Calcium as recently reported. Get your 1,200 MG of Calcium from the food you eat. Great sources of calcium is sardines, plain yogurt, whole grain, bread. Here is a meal plan for Calcium Breakfast – Scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese.
Lunch - Spinach and Shitake mushrooms Dinner – Kale and Salmon

To step it up a notch I avoid 
GMO Genetically Modified Organisms
One of the others that is not on this list is Tomatoes I buy organic pizza sauce and salsa
I hope this helps you when it comes to picking foods that are going to fuel your body! 
Karissa Rawlins www.facebook.com/karissa.rawlins

No comments:

Post a Comment